Ask a Trooper: Out of state permits | - Pineandlakes Echo Journal

  • Comment

Ask a Trooper: Out of state permits

Posted: July 16, 2013 - 4:36pm

Question: My son has an instruction permit in Illinois to learn to drive. We will be traveling on vacation soon, and I would like to know whether this is valid to drive in Minnesota as well. Thanks for your time.

Answer: They also need to follow the same restrictions that their home state puts on the permit. Each state differs with those restrictions, but again, if you are valid in your own state, you are valid here, but under the same conditions/restrictions. Make sure he has the permit in his possession and that he is following all of the restrictions on his permit.

On a side note, we have an aggressive traffic safety program in Minnesota and we are constantly asking all of our motorists to work together and to drive as safe as they possibly can – each and every trip. We want everyone to buckle up, slow down, drive sober and pay attention! Thanks for asking, and thanks for your cooperation in helping us to keep Minnesota a safe place to drive.

If you have any questions for future columns concerning motor vehicle traffic in Minnesota, send your questions to: Sgt. Curt S. Mowers MN State Patrol P.O. Box 644 Brainerd MN 56401. E-mail questions to with “Ask a Trooper” in the subject line. Questions are edited.

  • Comment


  • PO Box 974 Brainerd, MN
  • Switchboard: 218-829-4705
  • Circulation: 218-855-5897
  • Newsroom: 218-829-0211
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback