Ask a Trooper: Out of state permits | - Pineandlakes Echo Journal

  • Comment

Ask a Trooper: Out of state permits

Posted: June 25, 2013 - 4:48pm

Question: My son has an instruction permit in Illinois to learn to drive. We will be traveling on vacation soon, and I would like to know whether this is valid to drive in Minnesota as well. Thanks for your time.

Answer: If someone is valid in their home state, then they are valid here. They need to follow the same restrictions that their home state puts on the permit. Each state has different restrictions on the permits they issue. Make sure he has the permit in his possession and that he is following all of the restrictions on his permit.

On a side note, we have an aggressive traffic safety program here in Minnesota and we are constantly asking all of our motorists to work together and to drive as safe as they possibly can — each and every trip. We want everyone to buckle up, slow down, drive sober and pay attention.

  • Comment


  • PO Box 974 Brainerd, MN
  • Switchboard: 218-829-4705
  • Circulation: 218-855-5897
  • Newsroom: 218-829-0211
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback