Pine River-Backus Community Education offers the following in April:
• Adult Volleyball: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays through May 22; $25 for the season or $3 to drop in.
There’s no need to have a team; just stop in. League coordinators are Mark and Heather Schmidtke.
• Simple Sewing Denim Bag: Grades 5-8, 3-5 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, Room 46. Fee is $5.
Design and hand sew a stylish denim bag. Bring a pair of old jeans. This is a fun and simple hand sewing project.
• Psychedelic Tie Dyeing: Grades 7-9, 3-5 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, Room 107. Fee is $5.
Bring up to three items to tie-dye. Tie-dying instructions and washing care will be provided.
• Natural Beauty & Beyond: Adults ages 15 and older, 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at the Hunt Utilities Group Campus on Highway 2 west of Pine River. Fee is $10.
Do you know what’s in your shampoo? Is your toothpaste safe to swallow? Learn about natural alternatives to toxic personal care products. Try products and take home samples and handouts.
You will learn how to better understand ingredients and read labels to discover differences between safe and toxic products.
Instructors are Kris Kayser of Stone Women Herbals and Barb Beck of Happy Dancing Turtle.
• Ultimate Martial Arts Karate and Self-Defense
Martial arts provide a positive way to burn calories, learn loyalty and honor and build self-confidence while socializing with quality friends. Ultimate Martial Arts & Fitness is dedicated to providing the highest quality training and a varied curriculum in a courteous and professional manner.
Instructors are Rob Nelson, master instructor and 6th degree black belt, and Monica Volz, 2nd degree black belt.
Children ages 4-5, 6-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, $25 for four weeks.
Juniors ages 6-12, 6:30-7:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, $49 for four weeks.
Adult ages 13 and older, 7:15-8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, $49 for four weeks.
Family discounts are available (10 percent). Testing and uniforms are available for an extra fee.
Session 1 started April 2. Session 2 starts May 2.
• Fit Club Mondays: 3:15-4:30 p.m. through May 22, elementary music room. Classes are free.
Work with a team beachbody coach for free weekly workouts. Experience beachbody workouts seen on TV, like P90X, Insanity, Slim6 and Turbo Jam. There’s no pressure and always a modifier to follow. Go at your own pace.
Bring water and a towel or mat (if you have one). Kids are welcome, too!
Call Community Education at 587-2080.
• Fruit Trees and Shrubs: 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday, April 30, Sunshine Gardens. Fee is $5.
Participants will learn what fruiting trees and shrubs will grow in this area and how to plant them. Learn hardiness zones, planting location, directional planting, maintenance, planting necessities, protection and pruning.
Instructor is Bonnie Hiniker of Sunshine Gardens. Call 218-821-8671 for more information and a supply list.