Backus Mayor Kurt Sawyer announced an open position on the council at the Monday, Dec. 2, regular meeting.
Former council member Richie Bean submitted his letter of resignation before the December meeting. The council accepted his resignation Monday. Bean was no longer able to hold a position on the council since he moved out of the city to be closer to his job as pastor at Christ Community Church in Nisswa.
Sawyer said the council will begin accepting applications for the vacant position, but will not likely appoint a replacement until February.
“That will get us through the holidays and everything,” Sawyer said.
In other business Monday, the council:
• Approved the Backus Fire Department’s request to pay Widseth Smith Nolting engineering firm $1,000 to assist in writing a grant to replace the department’s cube van with a quick response four-wheel drive pickup truck that could be used to access roads that are not passable by current tanker trucks and pumper trucks.
• Approved the Backus Fire Department’s payroll.
• Learned that the Backus water plant project will be completed this week.
• Learned that the Backus East lift station will be completed within two weeks.
• Approved the 2014 levy certification. The amount certified was $138,165. Last year the amount was $134,633.
• Approved a payment of $343,544.70 for work on the East lift station.