The Nisswa City Council on Wednesday, Nov. 20, appointed Kathy Moore and Tessa Capelle to the Nisswa Park Commission, and the city seeks applicants for the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment.
Anyone interested in serving on that commission/board should contact city hall at 963-4444.
Police in October reported 23 agency assists, 147 calls for service, 23 driving citations, 44 warnings, one arrest, eight alarms and four medicals.
The council granted permission for the fire department to spend $1,000 to apply for a $50,000 to $90,000 grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Grant money would be used to buy self-contained breathing apparatus (air packs).
In other business Nov. 20, the council:
• Learned the Nisswa Community Center will be closed much of December to get new flooring.
• Certified delinquent sewer accounts.
• Approved construction invoices for the Public Restroom/Welcome Center building for $100,545.13 to Country Pride Construction of Stanchfield.
• Approved construction invoices for the Smiley Road project for $15,732.55. The council agreed to use tax-increment financing funds of $31,506 for drainage improvements and a road CD for $50,000 for the Smiley Road project. The remainder of the cost will come from the budget.
• Approved a Brainerd Jaycees raffle request at Grand View Lodge on Jan. 24, 2014.
• Approved a Crow Wing County Housing and Redevelopment Authority contribution request for $500 for a housing study.
• Was reminded the truth in taxation meeting for public comment about the proposed budget and tax levy for 2014 will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4. Council member Jan Pierce said she wants to further reduce the numbers.
• Heard a request from Ryan Nelson of Jr’s No. 19 BBQ in Pine River to host a car show/barbecue event in the city park July 25-26. That’s the date a Porsche Club would participate.
Nelson wanted to know whether the city would support such an event. The council indicated it wasn’t in the city’s best interest to allow the event in the heart of tourist season, and said the city’s chamber already sponsors a car show and a barbecue contest.
• Agreed to set dates with the city attorney for discussion about the recently formed union of supervisory employees, and for a council workshop.