Brainerd Lakes area environmental organizations and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recently collaborated to publicly recognize homeowners, contractors, and local units of government that have developed or redeveloped their lakeshore or riverfront properties in a lake friendly way and followed current state and local ordinances.
The following were recognized:
Lakescaping: a homeowner or contractor who utilize native vegetation and natural materials to landscape their riparian property.
• William Faber, Lake Alexander, Morrison County.
• Jens Bach, JB Outdoor Experience, Lower Whitefish Chain, Crow Wing County.
• Shelly Larson, Hayland Woods Native Nursery, Crooked and Grave Lake, Crow Wing County.
Lake-Friendly Protection Strategy: an organization or a local unit of government that has created an ordinance, or regulatory code, or other initiative that enhances area lake and river systems.
• Big Trout Lake Boat Access, Crow Wing County (SWCD, US Army Corps of Engineers, WAPOA, and MN DNR).
Lake Stewardship: a riparian landowner who protects water quality through; natural shoreline, conservation easement, or any other forms of water quality protection.
• Dale Yerger Deep Portage Conservation, Cass County.
• Henry Roe, Landowner, Cass County.
• Wayne Ekberg and Orv Broberg, Deep Lake Owner Association, Cass County.
Award winners will receive a custom framed nature print by Nisswa artist Jerry Raedeke, and copies of the book “Lakescaping for Wildlife and Water Quality,” a loon book, and a certificate depending on the category. Attendees received free appetizers and opportunities to network with the award winners.
This event was sponsored by the following organizations: Brainerd Lakes Area Audubon Society, Crow Wing County Lakes and Rivers Alliance, DNR Game Wildlife and Fisheries, MN Chapter of the American Fisheries Society, The Nature Conservancy, A&W Research Laboratories, Crow Wing County Soil and Water Conservation District and University of Minnesota Extension.
For more information contact Melissa Barrick via email at email@example.com or by phone 218-828-6197.