The Whitefish Area Property Owners Association (WAPOA) Shoreland Restoration Contest “Experts Night” was held on June 19 at the Ideal Town Hall. The event was well attended and turned out to be a busy night for the DNR, U of M Extension, Crow Wing County SWCD, Sunshine Gardens and WAPOA, who now acted as contest judges. The basic requirement for the contest is that money awarded by WAPOA be used in 2013 to help correct storm water runoff issues on area lakeshore lots.
The judges reviewed each request, and worked with the entrants to help complete scoping of the project and determine an overall cost to complete it. There were a variety of area lakes and types of projects represented. Some people were there to just get help with their projects and didn’t enter the contest.
The following successful eight contestants were awarded a total of $7,250 to be used for their restoration projects:
• Rick Carlson on Crosslake - awarded $250
• Charles and Julie Costa on Ossawinnamakee -awarded $,1000.
• Ron and Lisa Engblom on Ossawinnamakee - awarded $1,000.
• Eva M Keitz on Lake Bertha - awarded $1,000.
• Douglas Moan on Crosslake - awarded $1,000.
• John P Olson on Little Pine - awarded $1,000.
• Clarice Renschler on Ossawinnamakee - awarded $500.
• Jack and Joan Riordan on East Fox - awarded $1,500.
WAPOA thanks all who participated and encourage lakeshore owners to continue to restore and protect the shoreland.