In 2012, the Pequot Lakes American Legion family contributed more than $51,000 to the community and Legion programs through charitable gaming proceeds.
Legion activities included:
• Honored veterans and their families at funerals and holidays.
• Provided funding to veterans homes, St. Cloud VA Hospital programs, Veterans on the Lake, Fisher House and programs for homeless veterans, and sent care boxes to troops.
For children and youth
• Provided funding for Boys’ and Girls’ State, Boy Scouts, American Legion baseball, Grad Blast, National Child Safety Council, Pequot Lakes High School scholarships, Pequot Lakes High School Band, Legionville, Patriotic Pride and Christmas for Kids, and entertained children with organized fun and gifts during the holidays.
For the community
• Provided funding for Wings of Mercy, American Cancer Society, nursing homes, Lakes Area Food Shelf, Mounted Eagles, library, friends of the Pequot Lakes community, and Lakes Area Caregivers.
• Provided funding throughout the community for victims of family violence and the homeless through Habitat for Humanity.
• Identified and assisted individuals in the area who were in need of temporary financial assistance due to health or other problems that may come up.
• Provide Memorial Day and Veterans Day programs to help instill an understanding of the sacrifices made by all the veterans that make America great.
• Promoted respect for our flag by including youth in a flag disposal ceremony and gave numerous flag etiquette courses throughout the year.
• Promote patriotism and leadership in local youth through speech contests and scholarship awards.
The Legion family thanks the Legion members and the public for their support of the Legion’s charitable gaming. This is just a partial list of what the Legion contributed, and the Legion also pays license fees and taxes. All gaming proceeds are given back to the community, children, youth and veterans, not just one project.
The Legion asks for the community’s continued support.