Newly elected council members Scott Pederson and Tyler Gardner were sworn in Tuesday, Jan. 8, as was mayor Nancy Adams, who was re-elected in November.
In other annual business Jan. 8, the council approved for 2013:
• The contract for planning services with Community Growth Institute for $2,050 per month, with council member Jerry Akerson opposed.
• The prosecution agreement with Mallie Law Office for petty misdemeanor, misdemeanor and applicable gross misdemeanor offenses at $875 per month.
• The reappointment of Widseth Smith Nolting as city engineer.
• Annual mayoral appointments and council liaisons, and appointed council member Dave Sjoblad as mayor protem for the year.
• The appointment of Lakes State Bank and American National Bank as the city’s official depositories.
• The appointment of the Lake Country Echo as the main and Brainerd Dispatch as the secondary official newspapers.
• The reappointment of Lakeland Agency as the insurance agent of record.
• The use of Ahlquist Law Office (formerly Sandelin Law Office) of Pequot Lakes for representation on civil matters, and Abrams & Schmidt LLC of Arden Hills for representation on labor relations matters.
Former city attorney Paul Sandelin sold his law practice to Clyde Ahlquist.