Council invited to downtown beautification meeting | Pineandlakes.com - Pineandlakes Echo Journal

  • Comment

Council invited to downtown beautification meeting

Posted: October 30, 2012 - 2:16pm

The Pine River City Council – along with the public – is invited to attend a Barclay Avenue Beautification meeting at 6 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 30, at the HUG campus, west of town on CR2.

The GreenStep Task Force, (made up of community volunteers) along with the nonprofit Envision MN, will host the public meeting to discuss ideas to beautify downtown and draw in more visitors.

The GreenStep Task force is part of the Greater Pine River Area Healthy Communities Partnership that formed in 2009 with a grant from the Initiative Foundation.

At the Monday, Oct. 8 city council meeting, the council approved a beach design for a sandy swimming beach upstream from the existing swimming area at the dam. While the city supports the concept of the proposed swimming beach project, they have not committed or budgeted any funds towards the project yet.

Engineering firm Widseth Smith Nolting will research what the project might cost so that Task Force fundraising goals can be set.

Police

The council approved moving Paul Sand from interim police chief to full-time police chief. Sand told the council he is looking forward to the opportunity.

He reported that the council received 122 calls in the past month including four accidents, 19 traffic offenses and several assaults. All the squad cars are up and running, he said.

Roine Cunningham of Riverview Estates reported that the police were able to locate and fine a juvenile who was vandalizing the Estates. She also asked the city to address some runoff by the Estates.

Water

The city council approved increasing the water rates by $1 in each of the next two years. The amount will be $21/month for 4,000 gallons as of Jan, 1, 2013; and $22/month for 4,000 gallons as of Jan. 1, 2014.

Fire Department

Fire Chief Mike Hansen reported that the department responded to one structure fire, one good-intent call, and one fatal vehicle accident.

Airport

City Engineer Bryan Drown reported that paint striping was done on the runway and taxiways and some crack sealing was redone at the airport.

The cost of the recent runway pavement rehabilitation project was covered 100 percent by the state. The city did not spend any money on the project.

The state is also covering 90 percent of the cost of the taxiway pavement rehabilitation and taxiway crack sealing and patching at the airport. The City of Pine River is responsible for the remaining 10 percent of the cost on those projects.

City Clerk

City Clerk Wanda Mongan reported that the city was approved for a $3,200 grant to help with implementation of the city’s wellhead project. They plan to create educational brochures and a program for schools and civic organizations on wellheads, pollution and runoff.

The council also approved certifying five delinquent water accounts to taxes if the payments are not met by the November council meeting. Residents are notified of delinquency.

Sewer

Martin Ruigh resigned from the Pine River Area Sanitary District Board effective Sept. 27. He has been representing the city on that board for 14 years. PRASD asked the city council to nominate a resident for the board term that ends Dec. 17, 2013.

The city is looking to establish list of volunteers to serve on boards, such as PRASD. The only requirement is that they live in the city limits. Contact the city to express interest.

Variance Hearing

The council heard a variance request to move a single-family home to a location in Pine River. The lot is 10,500 square feet. Setbacks will be met. At one time there was a home of a similar size on the lot. The hearing is Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 6:30 p.m.

  • Comment

CONTACT US

  • PO Box 974 Brainerd, MN
  • Switchboard: 218-829-4705
  • Circulation: 218-855-5897
  • Newsroom: 218-829-0211
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING