The Breezy Point Area Women’s Club was organized on Oct. 30, 1972, at Breezy Point Village Hall. There were 25 charter members.
The club was founded as a charitable and social organization and has contributed toward many community projects and worthwhile causes through the years. Annual membership dues are $20.
Currently, the club is involved in the following community service projects with funds for these projects provided through annual fundraisers and member dues:
• Two $600 scholarships are given annually to non-traditional female students attending Central Lakes College.
• Monetary donations are made to Pequot Lakes First Responders, Pequot Lakes Fire Department and Breezy Point Police Department to help fund needed equipment.
• Members organize and maintain donated books at the city hall library.
• Members plant and maintain the garden areas on city hall grounds.
• A monetary donation and food shelf items are donated to the Lakes Area Food Shelf.
• Members craft tray favors in November for care center residents in Pine River and Pequot Lakes.
• As funds permit several donations are made to other approved community organizations.
Regular meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month and begin at 11:30 a.m. unless otherwise noted. The meeting programs scheduled for 2014 are:
• January: No meeting.
• Feb. 5: Lunch get-together, Billy’s at Breezy Point.
• March 5: Lunch get-together, Antlers, Breezy Point.
• April 2: Spring Planting, Jim Sherwood of the Treehouse, Breezy Point City Hall.
• May 7: Black Bears, Glenn and Nancy Krause, Billy’s at Breezy Point.
• June 4: Making Memories with the Golden Girls, Jo McCarthy, Pelican Lakes Conservation Club in Breezy Point.
• July 2: Computer information and problem solving, Mike Munson, Pelican Lakes Conservation Club in Breezy Point.
• Aug. 6: Visit to Model Railroads Museum, lunch at Maucieri’s, both in Crosslake.
• Sept. 3: Wine Tasting with Hors D’oeuvres, Deacon’s Lodge in Breezy Point.
• Oct. 1: Women’s Heart Health, potluck lunch at Breezy Point City Hall.
• Nov. 5: Craft for Care Centers, Pelican Lakes Conservation Club in Breezy Point.
• Dec. 3: Annual Christmas Party/Silent Auction, location to be announced.
Membership is open to all women of the area and guests are welcome at all meetings and social events. If you are interested in becoming a member, call 218-820-3668. If you would like to attend a meeting, call 218-562-4111, 218-562-4991 or 218-765-3589.