• Christmas for Kids is looking for donations for its upcoming Christmas for Kids Program. Monetary donations can be dropped off or mailed to the Family Center at P.O. Box 1, Pine River, MN 56474. Donation boxes are also available at local businesses for families to donate toys. Families will be notified when their gifts are ready to be picked up. Applications are available at the Family Center.
• Pine River Area Food Shelf is open every Tuesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the basement of the First Lutheran Church. On Christmas Eve the Food Shelf will only be open from 9 a.m. to noon, and it will be closed Dec. 27.
• Free tax help will be offered again from February through mid April. Appointments will only be on Saturdays. The Family Center will begin scheduling appointments mid-January. Look for more information in the January Happenings.
• Hidden Jewels Thrift Store’s Extended Christmas Store is located at 221 Barclay Ave, next to the bakery. Hours are Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through Dec. 21. This extended site is a program of the Pine River-Backus Family Center and will have antiques, toys, furniture and Christmas decorations on sale. The regular Hidden Jewels is also open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday–Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays.
• The Family Center’s Home Visiting Program: Is this your first pregnancy? Do you have questions about how your pregnancy will go? Do you wish you had a little extra help with your questions around your pregnancy and about upcoming parenting issues you will encounter? If yes, the Family Center’s Home Visiting Program has immediate openings for first-time expectant mothers who would like additional support with their pregnancy and parenting their child to 3 years of age. Free prenatal gift bags are available to all women who are expecting a baby who live in the Pine River-Backus School District.
• MAC/NAPS pick up is Dec. 10 from 2-4 p.m.
• WIC will be here Dec. 4-5. Call Cass County at 547-1340 for an appointment.
• Child & Teen Check-Up will be here Dec. 30; this is a full clinic.
• Family Center will be closed from Dec. 23-27 and will reopen Monday, Dec. 30, at 8 a.m.
The Family Centers wishes everyone a joyful and happy holiday season.
The mission of the Pine River-Backus Family Center is “Strengthening Families & Building a Stronger Community.” The Family Center is open Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is located at 245 Barclay Ave, Pine River. For more information, call 218-587-4292 or visit www.prbfamilycenter.org.