In October, Essentia Health will provide two options for the community to be vaccinated against the flu by scheduling a 10-minute appointment at your local clinic or just stopping by during the walk-in flu clinic.
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend a flu vaccine for anyone who is 6 months old or older. Some children younger than age 9 need two doses to be protected, so ask your doctor.
“An infected person can spread influenza when they cough, sneeze or just talk near others,” said Kari Russell, registered nurse, infection preventionist at Essentia Health. “They can also spread it by touching or sneezing on an object someone else touches later.
“Getting vaccinated is the best way to protect yourself, your family and your community from the flu. Other precautions you should take include washing your hands regularly, covering your cough, and not going to work or school if you are sick,” Russell said.
The cost of a flu vaccine is covered by Medicare Part B, Medicaid and most private insurance companies.
Essentia Health clinics will offer 10-minute appointments for flu shot or flu mist at all clinic locations: Baxter, Brainerd, Crosslake, Hackensack, Pequot Lakes, Pierz, Pillager and Pine River. Call the clinic nearest you to schedule an appointment.
Walk-in flu clinics will be held at the following Essentia Health clinics:
• Brainerd Clinic: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, Oct. 5, 12, 19 and 26.
• Crosslake Clinic: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays, Oct. 9, 16 and 23.
• Hackensack Clinic: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Oct. 4, 11, 18 and 25.
• Pequot Lakes Clinic: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 8, 15 and 22.
• Pierz Clinic: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays, Oct. 7, 14, 21 and 28.
• Pillager Clinic: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 8, 15 and 22.
• Pine River Clinic: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays, Oct. 9, 16 and 23.