Every baby born at Essentia Health-St. Joseph’s Medical Center is unique – one of a kind. To prepare for this very special new person in your life, we encourage you to attend one of the many free educational classes designed specifically for moms, dads, support people, siblings, and grandparents. To register for any of the following classes, all held at Essentia Health-St. Joseph’s Medical Center, go to MatchOBGYN.org or call 218-828-7414.
• Breastfeeding Class - This class includes both an introduction to the basics of breastfeeding and resources for ongoing support. Your partner is encouraged to attend, as well as others who will support you after your baby is born. Tuesday, May 7, 6-8 p.m.; Tuesday, June 4, 6-8 p.m.; Tuesday, July 2, 6-8 p.m.; or Tuesday, Aug. 6, 6-8 p.m.
• Infant/Child CPR, Safety and First Aid - Keeping your child safe is your top priority. Learn how to protect your child inside the house and out. What to do in an emergency, how to stock a first-aid kit, where to call for help, and more. Certified CPR instructors demonstrate the special resuscitation methods needed to aid infants and children under age eight. These skills may mean the difference between a simple incident and a tragedy. Recommended for parents, grandparents, and caregivers. Thursday, May 9, 6-8 p.m.; Thursday, July 11, 6-8 p.m.
• Preparation for Birth and Parenting - If you are having a child for the first time, it is easy to feel overwhelmed by questions, fears, and just not knowing what to expect. Many new parents find that birthing classes can really help calm their worries and answer many questions. Topics include: anatomy and physiology of pregnancy and birth, how to tell when you are in labor, stages of labor, comfort techniques for labor, the role of the labor support person, use and choice of medications and medical procedures, Cesarean birth, newborn characteristics, newborn care, and postpartum. The class includes a tour of the Family Birthplace. Best taken in the last 2-3 months of pregnancy. Saturday Weekend Express Courses April 27, May 11, June 1, July 13, Aug. 3, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Monday Sessions (Series of five) April 22 thru May 20, June 3 thru July 1, July 8 through Aug. 5, 6-8:30 p.m.
• Boot Camp for Dads - This class provides expectant fathers a place to go and learn from experienced fathers in a relaxed environment. Topics include personal care of their babies and community resources. Monday, April 15, 6-8:30 p.m.; Monday, May 20, 6-8:30 p.m. Monday, July 1, 6-8:30 p.m.; and Monday, Aug. 5, 6-8:30 p.m.
• Our New Baby (Sibling Class) - This class helps prepare children for the new baby’s arrival and provides helpful tips for making the adjustment easier for siblings and parents. (Designed for children ages 2-8.) Tuesday, May 28, 5:30-6:30 p.m.; Tuesday, July 30, 5:30-6:30 pm
• Grandparents Class - Grandparent Class is a refresher course on baby care for grandparents. Topics include the role of the grandparent, current child-rearing practices, car and home safety, as well as a tour of the Family Birthplace. This class is taught by a registered nurse from the Family Birthplace who is also an experienced grandma. Come share the excitement of welcoming a new grandchild! This class meets in one session. There is no fee, but registration is necessary. Thursday, May 16, 6-8 p.m.; Thursday, Aug. 15, 6-8 p.m.
• Childbirth Refresher Class - This class is designed for women with previous birth experience and their support people who have questions about their current pregnancy. This class includes a tour of the Family Birthplace. Tuesday, April 30, 6-9 p.m.; Tuesday, June 25, 6-9 p.m.; Tuesday, Aug. 27, 6-9 p.m.
• Mom’s Morning Out - Moms, bring your babies and come enjoy a morning out! Come join us to learn about the changes that occur in the weeks and months following your baby’s birth, ask questions and meet other new moms in your community. Meets weekly, Wednesday mornings, 10-11:30 a.m.