Six area young women will compete Sunday, Jan. 6, in the Miss Brainerd Lakes Outstanding Teen Pageant, and four will compete in the Miss Central Lakes Outstanding Teen Pageant.
Both pageants will take place at 3 p.m. in the Chalberg Theatre at Central Lakes College in Brainerd.
Both programs are part of the Miss Minnesota and Miss America Scholarship organizations.
Miss Brainerd Lakes pageants are now open to all girls from the Brainerd, Pequot Lakes, Pillager and Crosby-Ironton school districts.
The Miss Central Lakes pageant is open to any girl within the state of Minnesota who qualifies under the Miss America Scholarship Organization.
Miss Brainerd Lakes Outstanding Teen contestants are:
• Catie Kleindl, the daughter of Mike and Ann Kleindl. Her talent is Bb clarinet-”Clarinet Polka.” Her platform is Notes for Education: Keeping Music in Schools.
• Karrina Myhre, the daughter of Mark Myhre and Kris Kolstad. Her talent is dance-”Survivor.” Her platform is Kicking the Addiction.
• Serena Schreifels, the daughter of Troy and Julie Schreifels. Her talent is singing-”Reflection.”
• Samantha Selter, the daughter of Patrick and Melissa Selter. Her talent is vocal and piano-”The Water is Wide.” Her platform is Helping the Hungry of the World.
• Kaelyn Spencer, the daughter of Clarence and Kim Spencer. Her talent is playing the marimba-”Sonata.”
• Kari Watson, the daughter of Tim and Tina Watson. Her talent is alto saxophone-”The Pink Panther.” Her platform is Get Involved-Helping Shape a Better Tomorrow.
Miss Central Lakes Outstanding Teen contestants are:
• Mariah Fitch, the daughter of Tina Perrin. Her talent is lyrical dance-”Skyscraper.” Her platform is B is for being nice, not Bullying.
• Sage Hovet, the daughter of Randy and JoAnn Hovet. Her talent is vocal-”Orange Colored Sky.” Her platform is Alzheimer’s: Altering Memories.
• Mia Pagnac, the daughter of Darrin and Angela Pagnac. Her talent is dance-”Rockstar.” Her platform is Donate Blood to Save Lives.
• Lizzy Thurlow, the daughter of Marie Thurlow. Her talent is flute-”Friend Like Me.” Her platform is Building Healthy Hearts: Heart Disease Awareness.
Contestants will compete in lifestyle and fitness in active wear, talent, evening gown and on-stage question.
Each queen will receive a $500 college scholarship and first runners-up will receive $200 college scholarships, among other prizes.
Bailey Wachholz of Nisswa is the reigning Miss Minnesota’s Outstanding Teen. Savannah Cole is the reigning Miss Baxter’s Outstanding Teen.
Tess Taylor will be the master of ceremonies. A 2013 Miss Brainerd Lakes Little Princess also will be crowned.