The Crosslake Area Historical Society’s Artisan’s Fair will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 11, at the Historic Log Village across from the Crosslake Corps of Engineers Dam and Campground in downtown Crosslake at 35404 County Road 3.
More than 35 artisans will be situated throughout the Historic Log Village displaying crafts reminiscent of 1900. Artisans will demonstrate their crafts as they sell their wares.
There will be special activities and crafts for the kids including corn-husking contests and a scavenger hunt. Donna Balzer will lead the children’s games and storyteller Paul Karl will entertain the youngsters.
Strolling musicians Kai and Bridget Allen will entertain with guitar and violin. Accordion player Ken Benson will entertain outside the saloon while floozy Jan Burton from Brainerd serves root beer with local logger Michael Fraser.
Blacksmith Jim Newgord from Pillager will return to demonstrate in the newly built blacksmith shop. Gordon Siemers will show off his homemade birdhouses. Debra Bellman from Grey Eagle, a poet and weaver, will return.
Christine Kennedy from Pequot Lakes who creates and sells herbal soaps and lotions is also a repeat from last year. Local resident Mary Hoag will render lard over a fire in her grandfather’s kettle for soap making. Bunny Geiger from Timothy Township will demonstrate candle dipping.
Allan Hochsprung, wood turner, will display bowls and vases he’s made. Walter Grittner is a wood carver in his 90s who travels from St. Cloud to show off his craft. Sheryl and Robert Gormley from Backus will demonstrate spinning and weaving. Gail Smith along with Patty Schroeder will share the art of rug hooking. Marilyn Trachenko will make the trip from Plymouth with her rug braiding.
Other returning artisans include Becky and Jeff Behm of Raymond. Becky will demonstrate the art of fine thread crocheting and Jeff will show the art of fly tying. Carol Hopkins, from Backus, weaves baskets.
All the buildings in the Historic Log Village will be staffed with volunteers in period costume. Step into Crosslake of 1900 and see the log building that was the first official school on the Whitefish Chain; the Ostlund home that was built by August Ostlund and his son, Charles, at the turn of the last century; the first Watertown Township Town Hall; and a replica of the first Crosslake store.
Take a look in the Livery where you’ll see the original Whitefish Chain Mail boat, a 1949 Chris-Craft, restored by Ronnie Schultz and Joe Ruttger, plus many other exhibits of Crosslake’s past.
Parking will be available at the Frandsen Bank, on the street, at the campgrounds and in the museum parking lot. Have lunch on the grounds.
To join the artisans and demonstrate a pioneer craft, call Mary Hoag at 218-692-3188 or Nancy Rudberg at 218-692-2309 to arrange for a position in the event.