Pre-registrations are being accepted for the 49th annual Staples Rotary Arts Show May 3-4 in the lobby of Centennial Auditorium in Staples.
Three new photography classes are open this year, including the 2013 Theme Category of Minnesota Lakes/Rivers.
For pre-registration or to have a brochure mailed, call Jim Hofer at 218-894-1152 or email email@example.com. Exhibits will be accepted from 3:45-8 p.m. Thursday, May 2.
Artists may exhibit their work or enter it for juried competition. Exhibited art may also be for sale.
There is no limit to the number of items artists may exhibit in the non-juried portion of the art show and there is no fee for non-juried items.
Juried exhibits are limited to six items in each class. Recognition ribbons will be awarded and no entry fee will be charged.
The photography categories have been expanded in an attempt to bring out the work of every photographer, amateur or semi-professional. The new categories are:
• 2013 Photography Theme Category: Minnesota Lakes/Rivers — The photo must have water from a Minnesota lake, stream or river.
• Photography — black and white, any subject.
• Photography-story telling — photo or group of photos that depict a story.
The other categories are:
• Art, including all types of original paintings or drawings.
• General Crafts, featuring pottery, decoupage, ceramics, sculptures, jewelry, collages, metalwork.
• Fibrous Craft, including all needlework, quilting, sewing.
• Wood Craft, featuring carvings, wood sculpture, objects made substantially of wood products.
• Photography: nature, animals, landscape, featuring scenes of water, land, vegetation, trees, wild or domestic animals, and/or buildings.
• Photography: human interest featuring adults, children, people of other cultures.
• Photography: abstract, fine art.
Photography may be enhanced if done by the exhibitor. Photos need not be framed, must be a minimum of 8 inches by 10 inches and a maximum of approximately 16 inches by 20 inches.
A regional student art show will also be held in conjunction with the adult show. Schools in the Freshwater Education District are invited to participate. Those schools include Staples Motley, Bertha Hewitt, Browerville, Eagle Valley, Henning, Long Prairie-Grey Eagle, Pillager and Verndale.
The show will be open to the public from noon to 8 p.m. Friday, May 3, and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, May 4. Artists may pick up their exhibits from 5-6 p.m. Saturday.
School groups may tour the show Friday, May 3.